The Jubilee Review of English Freemasonry in Queensland.


(Edited by) E. W. H Fowles and E. G. White.

Brisbane architect, newspaper proprietor and politician James Cowlishaw’s copy.



(Edited by) E. W. H Fowles and E. G. White. The Jubilee Review of English Freemasonry in Queensland. Brisbane: Published by the editors and printed for private circulation by Outridge Printing Co., 1909. Octavo, 22.3 x 14cm, 352pp, 4pp advertising, 200 illustrations, map of Queensland. Original binding of textured boards with gilt titling on front panel and spine.

Good. Head and foot of spine bruised, minor lean, a little shaken, corners sharp but slightly rubbed,  top board ‘speckled’ along top edge (possibly due to contact with water), gilt remains bright, especially on top board.  Contents lightly toned with some foxing throughout, James Cowlishaw’s signature on the front pastedown dated 19th October, 1909.  A hand written correction is made on page 317 to James Cowlishaw’s birth year; 1848 has been crossed out and “*1834” recorded in the margin.

Freemasonry first came to Queensland when the ‘North Australian Lodge’ opened on Albert Street in Brisbane on the 13th of July, 1859. Over the fifty following years, many more lodges opened as the tradition of Freemasonry grew in Queensland. In the preface, editors E.G White and E.W.H Fowles draw attention to the fact that they were members of the inaugural lodge and set out three main objectives for the writing of this book; to produce an enduring memorial of the jubilee year, to describe the progress of English Freemasonry in Queensland and to strengthen the bonds amongst members by disclosing to them the history and achievements of other lodges in the state. While little information is available on White, Fowles was a Brisbane barrister, politician and Methodist and a key founder of Kings College at the University of Queensland.

James Cowlishaw (1834-1929), was an architect, newspaper proprietor, director and politician. Born in Sydney he moved to Brisbane in 1860 and prospered. According to the Australian Dictionary of Biography, “He designed a few private homes but was mostly concerned with building the Commercial Bank of Sydney in Queen Street, Brisbane, the warehouse for Alexander Stewart & Sons, the Boys’ Grammar School and other large edifices.” He was also a director of the Brisbane Courier and became managing director of the Brisbane Telegraph. As a member of the Legislative Council he paid great attention to the drafting of bills and generally reserved his remarks for the committee stage. A political Conservative he was implacably hostile to Federation, the Labor Party and ‘anything that savoured of socialism’.

A valuable resource for those interested in both local and Masonic history.